Hints and Tips

21 May, 2010








I love to make things myself.  I know what's in my food. It gives you that extra little bit of contentment knowing you made it, your family loves it and it works out (hopefully) cheaper.

In some recipes, there may be rolling, or pounding, kneading or getting your hands dirty. I find this is very therapeutic, take your stresses out on the food!

I get my 2 yo to help, with stirring mainly. It makes him feel involved in what he's making.

Most recipes, if you know your allergies, you should be able to substitute ingredients. There are no allergies in my little family of three, save for a new fish allergy of my husband. However, my niece and nephew are to have a gluten and dairy free diet. Some of my recipes are in my collection (with ordinary ingredients), knowing that I can change an ingredient. (for example - milk can be substituted with soy/rice milk.; flour with gluten free flour).

To keep to my own household food budget (which - believe it or not - is $170 a fortnight) under control, I shop at Aldi, Bi-Lo, a fruit shop and a butcher. I always always always have a shopping list. And keep the shopping list, so you know what you're making so that halfway through the week/fortnight you're not standing in an open fridge wondering "why did I buy that?
Check your fridge/pantry before you make the shopping list too, so you don't come home with items you already have. This is not a necessity, but all my pantry items are in Tupperware Modular Mates. Airtight and I can see what's in them. Awesome.

I don't buy a lot of ready-to-eat food, so I need to keep the fridge full of meals and lunches to be packed for work, uni and daycare. This does sometimes mean standing in the kitchen for hours on end baking and cooking. On the upside, if I don't feel like cooking one night, something's already made.

I am a sucker for chocolate and sweets ;)


If you notice on the top of recipe WW 2pt (as an example), it means Weight Watchers and each serve is worth 2 points. I'm currently following the Weight Watchers plan, so some recipes will have this information. If you'd like to know how many points a recipe has, and it's not listed, please let me know and I can work it out for you. 


I am no good at counting calories, so I'm not even going to go there. Sorry :( On the plus side, most will be healthy and nutritious recipes.


If you have any questions or comments or you'd like to submit a recipe, or recipe idea, please let me know. 


I hope this blog serves (hahaha no pun intended) you well. My aim is to have a new recipe every week, and if you're lucky, a few per week.  


All the best
Rhianon

Food For The Frugal Copyright © 2009 Designed by Ipietoon Blogger Template for Bie Blogger Template Vector by DaPino